Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Trying again

I haven't really talked about the next steps in our journey at all, probably because I have been very nervous about it.  A couple weeks ago I got a letter in the mail stating that we are approved to try a Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET).  The approval was dated from the end of November through February 19th (or something close to that).  I had no idea that we were expecting that letter because I thought we were already approved, but in a way it was an answer to prayer.  I had been feeling apprehensive about trying again and I was kind of wondering whether it was the right time.  The letter answered that question for me!  If we only have until February 19th that means that now IS the time!

So, last week I started back on birth control and the IVF meds will be here on Friday.  I start injections on the morning of Christmas Eve and stop taking the pill on the 27th.  This is the first time with this type of injection, so I am not certain what to expect.  It is called leuprolide.  It was described to me previously as a medicine that would put me in a temporary "menopausal state" due to the way it cuts my estrodial levels.  (This was something they had considered putting me on to help slow the growth of my endometriosis, but because of my age and our desire to have a family they determined that IVF was a better solution.)  Before an FET cycle this medication is used for a short amount of time before starting estrogen patches and progesterone injections.  Then, the next step is to go for my baseline sonogram on December 29th.

The plan after that is to start estrogen patches on January 3rd.  I haven't used them before, so I am a little nervous about how I will respond physically and emotionally! At that point I am sure I will have a few visits to check the lining of my uterus.  Then around January 16th or 17th I will begin the lovely rump injections again!!! This time we hope that everything will work out so that we can purchase the progesterone in cottonseed oil.  From there we have a target implantation date of January 20th.

Unlike the previous cycle when we had 7 embryos on the date of implantation, which took away some of the stress,  this time we will be thawing 2 frozen embryos (one level B and one level C) and hoping that they survive the thawing and continue to grow!  I am sure I will be very nervous as the time approaches.

So, that is our plan as we move toward trying again.  I will keep you posted as I start this completely new medication protocol.
Thank you for your continued support as we continue our journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment